Monday, 23 February 2009

Two sleeps to go

Well, it's the 23rd February and tomorrow is pancake day so I'll be out getting all the paraphernalia associated with that. Well, everything apart from the lemon juice in a plastic lemon (stands to reason) as you can't beat the price and taste of a fresh squeezed lemon.

Hardly any preparation has been done this year for lent. Not that I do much any year, but it seems to be upon me like some ones belated birthday and I always feel like I am meant to have done something. I have had a few lent dreams, but nothing serious and I have found myself questioning eating something thinking "Uh Oh, is it lent yet? no, wait, not yet. Ah, I can enjoy this cadbury finger then"

It is a little weird as lent is so late this year, I kind of feel like I should already be on it on some ways, and I'm kind of bored waiting.

Aimee's just brought me something and here we have possibly one of the things I will miss the most as I always do.

Coffee.

Some mornings I can be heard in the kitchen mumbling after my first gulp of coffee "Ah coffee, my only friend". Not that it's my only friend in terms of companionship, but the endorphins released into my brain at just the very smell of freshly brewed coffee fill me with a giddiness which makes the world seem perfectly sane.

Instead I usually drink hot water with a bit of lemon or lime or orange and a spoonful of honey (one of the two main ingredients for 'THE' Lent) which is good but in a different way. I have often finished lent and actually felt sick at the smell of coffee which is saying something for me, and it usually takes a few months to get back to drinking it.

Well, thank you for your kind responses which I have received via text, email, phone call and also the comments section of my first post! they have been greatly appreciated. I must admit, I was worried about the kind of responses I would receive and almost deleted the blog last night, but it's good to know some people are interested.

I must mention my friend Lucy. She has offered to show me a few meals I can cook when I am on lent which don't consist mainly of Tuna, Ryvita, Humus and baked fish. Which I must admit is my regular diet when I am working and does get ever so boring (I do go through a soup phase and couscous phase when on lent, so it's not all bad)

This has excited me greatly as Lucy and her husband are vegetarians (no, not even fish) and she cooks some of the tastiest food I have ever experienced. This is also something which I would like to carry on after lent, I have really let myself go on cooking, as in, from scratch and I don't like being 'food lazy', so this might be a chance for me to return to my passion for cooking again.

Right, I am off to have dinner which, apart from pasta, is all lent allowed. Bah :-)

Tomorrow I will write a list of what I would typically consume (not daily or weekly, but generally) so you can stack up the change I'm about to bring upon myself. It will be frightening, so bring a blanket to hide behind for tomorrow nights post.

No comments:

Post a Comment