Been eating really good this week and I am so feeling the difference! My body seems to be getting used to the change in diet and I am feeling mentally fresh and alert. I seem to be chewing through work a lot quicker due to this.
One thing which has come up among various people who are doing lent this year is the length of it. Everyone is expecting it to be 40 days and 40 nights as told in the bible.
And it isn't this long, it's longer.
This is primarily due to the church calendar which has to stretch and squeeze each year to make sure religious events happen at the right time during the year and for one reason and another, lent takes the bashing with Easter Sunday changing every year.
This year it's on the 12th April which is quite late, but also makes it longer than usual at 46 days long.
Those doing lent, who I have talked to, feel upset or scared that their fast has to last for 6 days extra. There are some options if you don't want to do the 'full' church calendar lent.
1) Start 6 days later than everyone else and finish on Easter Sunday
2) Take 6 days off on St. Patrick's day and end on Easter Sunday
3) Finish the Monday before Easter Sunday
4) Do the whole thing, 6 days extra and all
I am obviously opting for option 4 as I just do that. It feels more definite then as I can say 'I did Lent this year' and mean it. No excuses.
I never got the whole thing of stopping for St. Patrick's day anyway, what a load of toss. Did he show up in the desert when Jesus was there and go "Ah! 'tis Jesus himself! Here, oive been gettin' rid of the old snakes there, sure have a drink and a big old feed with me, an then get back to the starvin' the marra. So it is now so it is."
If he did, I'm missing something.
Then again, a clergy man didn't come rolling into the desert and go "Mr. Jesus, we decided lent will be a few days longer this year, so, erm, stock up on them there locusts and wild Honey...Bye!"
Ah well, lent is what you make of it, so make it a good, honest one. One you feel happy doing.
Excellent re-enactment of Jesus and St Patrick, although I was under the impression that St Patrick was Welsh. Maybe he picked up the accent fairly quickly.
ReplyDeleteI was under the impression he was Northern Irish! (as opposed to Southern irish) Ha ha, must be a shared saint. I can't do a Welsh accent re-enactment, never got the Welsh accent down, in words that is. Thanks for reading!
ReplyDelete