Well, I haven't had too many lent dreams since starting and in the past week I have lost some more weight, quite a bit considering how much food I have been eating.
This year I have been super strict on what I can and can't eat. So many canned and even dried soups include some kind of milk or egg white, it's insane!
feeling good all the same mind you. I do miss coffee. At the mere smell of it I go all doe eyed! I caught a whiff of my housemates one morning as she made some before work and I think I looked like the big shark in Finding Nemo when he smells blood after trying to give it up. Ha ha.
I was chatting to my house mate Vicki today about what I miss most and she says she doesn't miss much at all. Especially cheese! which is insane for her as she would just about eat anything cheese-esque. She likes cheese.
I like coffee.
Oh well, only 3 and a half weeks to go!
I really don't want to gorge on all the stuff I have not been eating on Easter Sunday. I wouldn't mind keeping it to a coffee, a sunday dinner with meat and maybe an easter egg.
I wouldn't mind keeping off bread, diet coke, fast food and milk to be honest, but we'll see.
My friend Roy told me a good idea he does. He eats as healthily as he can when he's at home, and then when he goes out for food, he has anything he likes. Such a good idea as it's not like everyone eats out every day (unless your Woody Allen) and I guess if temptation isn't there, it's easier to ignore the crap (food).
Well, anyway, that's too much diet talk right there, which f course isn't what lent is based on.
I watched a film called Zeitgeist the other night, which is a real hard hit if you believe in God like I do. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's an atheist's dream of a film as it totally debunks the existence of God, Jesus and all the parables told in the bible. And the Bible.
I won't go into too much detail about it here as you need to watch it more than read my description of it.
I mean, I love film too, so I watched it with interest, but the subject matter was against my belief. Sort of.
By sort of I mean that, yes I went to church and know of the stories in the bible and what the Christian faith is based around, but for me (luckily in some sense) I believe in the core of any religion, faith. Faith in humanity and some form of unknown entity which many would call God.
Whether that entity is the Sun (as described in Zeitgeist) some unknown force in the universe that put all this here or something else, I believe all the core elements that are tought to us through the bible. I also believe the bible shouldn't be taken as a straight 1,2,3 description of what went down, rather something to take something good away from.
Sorry of any of that makes little sense, I am trying to keep short what I am getting at.
I just think if you have faith in an unknown factor, it keeps hope and dreams alive in people. Too much of the bible is taken literally, which knocks people right off the idea from the get go. You know those people who go "That's Rabbit food! I'm not a bloody Rabbit!" when you give them a healthy salad? well, to me, it's the same when you casually mention religion and someone goes "Oh yeah? Jesus?, explain to me how he turned water into wine? or tell me how he fed 5000 people with 5 loaves and two fish...yeah, you can't! - load of rubbish that there religion".
People love to focus on the black and white facts when religion isn't that. I believe it's a personal thing, and you can believe without going to church, or, if you find it comforting, you can go to a church and celebrate your beliefs with like minded people.
Maybe I am all wrong, but it's what I have believed for a long time. Just the very fact there are so many religions kind of proves that it's a personal thing and that it exists all over the world.
It's when it's used as an excuse for war, or to make money, that is just using religion as a tool, which I feel is wrong.
So yes, maybe some facts in the bible are based on a roman, greek, whatever, mythological character based on the study of the Sun, but it's hard to ignore the fact all the good things which have come from that (of course there are bad, as I have mentioned above) things which are never mentioned in the news and media.
Anyway, the movie is pretty hard hitting as I say, but it's also easy to throw facts at people and expect them to believe it, like a conspiracy theory, you need to research it yourself to know if it's true or not. Which I would do, if I was arsed. Which I'm not, but it did make me think.
Anyway, enough religious talk for now, I need some sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment